Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sidney Poitier Is One Handsome Man

Sidney Poitier.  Some consider him to be one of the finest actors of his time.  Others consider his performances to be slighly overwrought.  One thing that cannot be denied, however, is that Sidney Poiter is one hell of a handsome man.  Check it out:

Sidney Poitier is so handsome it makes me mad.  It makes me mad that my parents gave me such butt-ugly looks in comparison.  Criminy, if there was ever a handsomer man born on Earth, I haven't seen him.

And about that acting.  In the Heat of the Night has always been one of my favorite pictures.  Every scene is dripping with sweat and saturated with the deep-south racism of the 1960s.  The best moment is right here, courtesy Mr. Poitier and Rod Steiger.

A moment of overacting between these two gentleman? Possibly.  Is it completely awesome?  Yeah, yeah, yeah!

nwb

2 comments:

Darin said...

I do understand why people say he overacted. When the issues called for powerful and emotional performances, he brough exactly that. In films like In the Heat of the Night and A Raisin in the Sun, he perfectly captured the unrepented anger of the time. But he could also be subtle and play a quieter role with the same power, like in The Defiant Ones or Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

BillBow Baggins said...

Darin,

I'm with you. He's awesome, and that's that.

nwb