Sunday, April 24, 2011

The McBone Birdwatching Journal; Downy Woodpecker

Easter Sunday at McBone Manor means feasting on ham and scalloped potatoes and whatever green vegetable wasn't looking too gray in the produce coolers at the local Kroger.  No ham for this downy woodpecker, though, who seems perfectly content to pick away at a delicious cake of peanut butter and rendered fat:

Male downy woodpecker, with indicative red spot

A couple of hours later, his lady friend stopped by to fuel up too:

Female downy woodpecker, sans indicative red spot

While this afternoon snacking can in no way match the drama of last year's x-rated Easter display by two merlins screwing as if Judgment Day were nigh, what, I ask, could be more pleasant than a visitation by two perfectly lovely examples of Picoides pubescens?  The downy is among the most far-flung of American woodpeckers, ranging from Portland, Maine to a certain port city in Oregon, the name of which escapes me at the moment.  These suckers are easily attracted by anyone with a couple of bucks to spend on a suet cake, a cage and a can-do attitude.

What's that?  Not good enough for you?  Well then, how about the first hummingbird of the season!

Hummingbird feeder.  Not pictured: hummingbird

OK, so I failed to capture the bird, but I swear it was there a nanosecond before the shutter could close--that's just how fast a hummingbird can fly.

What the keen eye may have observed is Red, one of our resident fucking squirrels and a voracious eater of the food I buy for birds, parked on the bird feeder like he owns the goddam place.  I really should go chuck a rock at him, but I suppose it is a holiday after all, and WWJD?


Still not satisfied?  Well then, how about this breathtaking combination of red and yellow, or as my sometimes-popular wife put it, ketchup and mustard?  Hey, as long as there's no mayonnaise in the equation, I'm ok with the condiment references:


Ever notice that the goldfinch very closely matches the color of a blooming dandelion?  Coincidence?  I think not.  I don't know if God has a plan, but I'm pretty sure nature does.

Well, that's all I got.  Merry Easter, everyone.

nwb

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Game 7 for the Monsters tonight...