Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Kill Me Now

God, this sucks.
How painful was the Cavaliers' game three loss? Like swallowing hot coals. How do I feel this morning? Like my dog died. No, worse. Like my best friend was put into a meat grinder, and I was made to turn the crank.
The Cavs kicked the Spurs' butts in every way last night, except outside shooting. Quite naturally, that was the difference in a 75-72 loss. Couldn't they have made just a couple more of those three pointers they took? Did they have to shoot 3 of 19? That's 15 percent! Two more makes would have elevated them to a still-horrific 26 percent.
I'm from Akron. I'm supposed to love this, right? Misery. Suffering. Heartache. It defines me as a Cleveland sports fan, right? The Cavs should just be happy to be playing in the finals, and I should be happy to watch them, right?
Nope. Sorry. Wrong. This is torture.
The Cavs are making their critics look better and better. If indeed they are swept, and I really don't see why they won't be at this point, it will burn some of the most painful sports memories into my psyche forever.
All that's left to do now is blow a 25 point fourth quarter lead.
Do I wish they had never gotten to this point? Of course not. That's not the issue. The problem is that Cleveland teams never, and I mean NEVER win. Not ever. The last time it happen, Johnson was president (Lyndon, not Andrew, though it seems like Andrew). Usually the teams are just bad, but when they're good, they're never quite good enough. Getting to the finals is not going to cut it anymore. Second place won't make things better. We need a winner. A real winner. Moral victories don't cut it, so I don't want to hear about how the Cavs really played the Spurs tough in Cleveland. Everyone saw the Cavs decimate the Pistons. They could have done so much more in the finals. They didn't. It hurts.
nwb

No comments: