Friday, June 8, 2007

Here We Go Again...

How many times am I going to have to do this? Believe me when I say that there is no Schadenfreude when I criticize Bush. I would like to like our president. Cripes, I would like to love our president. I'm pretty sure I'd love to love him, but I really, really hate hating him. Whatever. Stupid jokes aside, I have two things to bitch about today, but I don't have the energy to discuss the Cavs' loss to the Spurs last night. So, the winner is...

Stem cells. Specifically, embryonic stem cells.

Embryonic stem cells are, of course, way too complicated for my feeble mind to explain, but I do know why they are such a contentious issue. Wait. No, I don't. The truth is I don't have the foggiest notion why they are so controversial. I mean, I do know why (it's one of those Christian vs. godless heathen things, right?) but it just doesn't seem to me like they should be. Basically, I know they exist in human embryos, and they are coveted by scientists who believe they can be used to develop cures for many debilitating diseases. Now, apparently they got all sorts of spare embryos in fertility clinics, and when they don't get used, they get thrown away.

Doesn't sound too ceremonious, does it? Doesn't sound like a really dignified end to these one-time potential people, does it, just tossing 'em out back? It certainly doesn't sound like a nobler end than, say, joining (involuntarily, perhaps, but noble still) the fight against Alzheimer's disease.

But Mr. Culture of Life says he will veto a bill that passed today in congress that would expand stem-cell research. So these embryos, so precious to our president, will continue to be chucked (I presume they are treated as medical waste and are thus spared being cast off alongside all the pizza boxes and half-eaten bologna sandwiches. We must respect life, after all). There is no logic to this. Or, if there is, I sure don't see it. Is there anyone out there who can please explain? How are these human embryos more valuable than the millions of actual living, breathing humans out there who are suffering right now from diseases that stem-cell researchers hope to cure?

Apparently so.

McBone is proud of McBone father-in-law José Cardier, who, when not busy eating empanadas and swilling chicha, is opening the first stem cell lab in Venezuela.

No comments: