Thursday, May 3, 2007

McBone Recipe of the Month: Eggs Benedict!

Holy Christ, this eggs benedict turned out great! So great that I feel compelled to share the recipe with you. For two servings you will need:

Good ciabatta bread, 4 slices. Don't skimp here. Good bread, I have learned, makes good eggs benedict. Why waste all the effort and ingredients on some crummy, soggy Thomas' English Muffin? 4 slices of Canadian bacon or nice, thick-sliced ham. 4 eggs to poach. A little butter. For the hollandaise sauce: 4 egg yolks. 1 lemon. A stick of salted butter. Salt.

Toast the ciabatta bread in butter on the stove. So much better like that. Fry Canadian bacon or ham. Bring water to a gentle boil and poach eggs. DO NOT HARDEN YOLKS, for mercy's sake, just don't. If you do, feed ruined eggs to the dog.

For the hollandaise: I have found over 2.6 billion hollandaise sauce recipes, most of them with the word "easy" attached to them, but the only way to make hollandaise is to practice over and over until you are comfortable. It's so easy to make, yet so easy to screw up. However, here is my favorite easy-ish recipe that doesn't involve cheating with a blender: bring water in double boiler to a rolling boil. Melt a stick of butter. Squeeze in juice from lemon. Beat egg yolks and add to boiler. REMOVE FROM HEAT OR EGG WILL CURDLE. Stir until it thickens. Don't stop stirring. Add a teaspoon of boiling water. You are still stirring. Add salt to taste. Delicious. Pour over waiting ciabatta, ham and eggs. Wanna garnish? Parsley and a dash of cayenne or paprika is nice. Now eat before it gets cold! Die from pleasure. You will not lose weight with this high cholesterol* dish. Best devoured with a mimosa made with equal parts champagne and freshly-squeezed orange juice.

Good luck! As always, McBone welcomes questions and comments about our recipes.

*McBone endorses the consumption of cholesterol.

2 comments:

hlm said...

For future reference- it is unfair to post a recipe without a picture.

Spontaneous Writing said...

This is a wonderful treat for me and for sure for Dennis and Patrick. Dirk was an egg Benedict lover and I sure had many back in the past.
Couple of years ago, Dennis and I tried this following a net's recipe as I failed to remember details. I got so emotional about this we both forgot to bring the mix to a boil. Poor me got a heavy belly and when suddenly I remembered we failed to cook the eggs, I understood why the result was wrong and my stomach upset.
Can only hope that one day, we will have the pleasure to meet(all of us) and have the eggs Benedict you describe. It really is an American treat. I will patiently wait.....