Sunday, February 28, 2010

Al Gore in '00!

The truth is, we'll never really know how things might have played out, and I don't think there's much merit in regret.  Still, I can't help thinking that we'll all (meaning everyone) look back one day and admit what a critical mistake was made in 2000, and that, if Al Gore had been president 1) the world would not have been subjected to an unprecedented 8-year dose of American belligerence, arrogance and utter incompetence, that 2) the situations in Afghanistan and Iraq would be vastly different today, and 3) that we would instead be mobilizing, at least more than we are now, in a campaign against climate change.

Gore's op-ed piece in the New York Times will no doubt get the mouths of the deniers foaming and frothing, but their loudness will not make the problem go away.  

nwb

4 comments:

Kid Shay said...

Makes me mad to think of all the potential good that was not done in the first 8 years of the 21st century.

Augh.

SeMm said...

I think you, me and Kid Shay should infiltrate a TEA Party for fun.

BillBow Baggins said...

I was actually, seriously thinking about it, but was afraid my blogger celebrity had grown too much.

nwb

Kid Shay said...

But would we be able to mingle among them without projectile vomiting, thus blowing our cover?