Monday, March 10, 2008

The Blizzard of '08

Normally I find it hard to get worked up over the weather. I've never been a forecast checker and I don't think I've ever seen the Weather Channel. To me, weather is weather and there's not much I can do to change it (except the time I stopped the rain*). Still, the 18 inches we got over the weekend were interesting to me, partially because it snowed more in one hour than it did in the two winters Alex and I spent in France.

I had the time of my life waking up at 5:30 on Sunday to shovel our driveway so I could get to work by 7.

I was 20 minutes late.

nwb

*True story: I was walking to class once at Ohio University in the pouring rain, none too happy about the circumstances. Utterly vexed and getting drenched, I closed my eyes and imagined a sort of wedge of energy rising from me, parting the rain and, ultimately, the cruel skies above. When I opened my eyes again, the rain had stopped and a bright blue rift had been torn in the clouds. Warm sunlight poured through. Man, it seems, had vanquished nature.

I walked into class that morning in silent triumph, a shaman of sorts, a weather-lord of old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

BillBow Baggins said...

Crescenet strikes again.

nwb

Kid Shay said...

The "Crescies" are the most sought-after awards on the internet.