Friday, February 19, 2010
Well Forbes, let me start by just saying this. You can take that study and shove it up your ass. Go to hell, and FUCK OFF!
I've had enough. Why do we feel the necessity to do a study and publish something about the worst places to live? Forbes, can I ask you this...Did the person that published that piece ever live in Cleveland? I would be willing to bet one million McBoners (The official currency of McBone) that they've never spent more than one week in this city. Regardless, it is beyond my intelligence why it would ever be necessary to publish such negative garbage. What good does it do anyone? Tell me how you think it makes the people feel that were born in those cities? That work 12 hours a day to raise their families in those cities and pay for their mortgages? Give me 10 minutes in a room with no windows or cameras with the person that endorses these publications. Do we not have enough negativity? Do the people in these cities not already know what the problems of their hometowns are? Hey Clevelanders! Did you guys know that we get a lot of snow in the winter? Did you know that our sports teams haven't won a title in six decades? Hmmmmmm.....BREAKING NEWS FORBES YOU ASSHOLES!
I've just had enough of the Cleveland bashing. I really have. The #4 most miserable city to live in? Come here for one week and I'll show you how miserable it is. Nothing good happening in Cleveland? Ok you know what's coming now:
1) Cleveland Cavaliers - Best basketball team on the planet. Best ownership in sports. Best player in the world. I know it is painful for all you Cleveland haters out there, BUT LEBRON IS GOING FUCKING NOWHERE.
2) World Class Restaurants - Lola, Lolita, Osteria, Slyman's Deli, Farenheit, Lago, Sokolowski's, Johnny's Downtown, and many many more. Cleveland's cuisine is second to maybe only New York and Chicago. MAYBE. Any meal, type of food or atmosphere you desire and I'll find you a restaurant in that genre that will blow your mind.
3) Is Cleveland Growing? Is there anything exciting happening?
-Billion dollar casino will be up and running by 2013.
-Flats East Bank project breaks ground this spring. New 18-story office building (Ernst & Young), River front park/boardwalk, beach, restaurants, hotel and more.
-400 jobs coming to National City Building this spring. Rosetta Inc. moving offices there.
-$400 million high speed passenger rail coming to Cleveland to connect the four major cities in Ohio.
-Cleveland State University is up 18% in enrollment and at an alltime high for total enrollment. 40% of the incoming freshman class will be living on campus downtown Cleveland. Also and alltime high. Three new buildings under construction including educational and dormitory buildings. Cleveland State is a huge part of the revitalization of downtown Cleveland.
-Lake Erie Monsters - New professional hockey league team owned and operated by Dan Gilbert. Drew 18,626 fans on January 22nd. 5th highest attended game in American Hockey League history (74 years). 7th in the league in total attendance.
-Tremont and Ohio City - Young professionals flock to these areas. Eclectic and fresh. Great looking women, great food, great atmosphere, unique places to live, small boutiques and art galleries. Just awesome.
-Affordable. For someone 21-40 years old. No city has more to offer with a lower cost of living. Beautiful new condo's, townhomes and apartments opening every year. Want proof - I live in a 3,000 sq ft. home. I pay $1,000 a month. I live two minutes from Quicken Loans Arena. My kitchen is bigger than most apartments in New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. I have a yard, I cook-out, I even had a fox in my yard this fall. Again I live 1 minute from downtown!
4) WEST SIDE MARKET - Celebrating a 100 years of publicly owned excellence. One of the largest outdoor markets in the world. Have you seen all the latest studies on the destruction of processed and super market foods? Well live in Cleveland and you don't have to worry. You have a fresh supply of locally and organic grown foods that are less expensive, more nutritional and unbelievably more flavorful than your regular old grocery store slop. This place is amazing.
-How about a world-class art museum that was already one of the best in the world and now has almost completed a billion dollar restoration.
-Rock N Roll Hall of Fame
-Five professional sports teams (Cavaliers, Monsters, Browns, Indians, Gladiators)
-Like water? Lake Erie might be close by.
6) The people. People of Cleveland work hard, they are passionate and they are genuine. Come here and you'll see. Go to a Browns game. You'll see. I guess the people of a city don't contribute to it's "ranking" among best cities to live.
I don't need to go on, but I could. For days and days. Did the article piss me off, yes. Did I react emotionally, yes, but not without reason. Most of the time I don't give a damn about what people say. I've heard criticism of Cleveland as long as I can remember. But sometimes you just can't hold the emotions in any longer. This city has so much to offer now and what is even more exciting is the untapped potential that is just beginning to be developed. Great things are happening but even greater are coming. Congrats to those who will be along for the ride. Maybe we can make Forbes top ten list for best cities to live in 2015. But then again, who the fuck cares. Cleveland Rocks!
Posted by McBone at 5:08 PM