Sunday, September 30, 2007

Nate Reads the Bible.

I'm no Christian. I never have been. That's not going to change anytime soon, but reading the bible is a project on which I've long meant to embark. Why? Well, roughly 80% of the US population is Christian. I wanna know why. Or at least I want to see what makes Christians tick. Moreover, as a student of literature, I recognize that the bible is an essential source text. I have a degree in English, but I have always felt my education somewhat lacking. Hell, aside from a few scattered passages, I have neglected the holy scripture altogether.

So here we go. My goal is as follows: I will dive into our Oxford Annotated Bible and react accordingly. I intend to read it straight through. As I'm sure this notion interests and benefits none but myself, I will endeavor to keep my posts short and succinct. I reserve the right to abort mission at any time.

nwb

Speaking of Christianity, McBone would like to say goodbye to Rex Humbard, a pioneering televangelist who made Akron his home. Alpha Rex Emmanuel Humbard, born to evangelical parents in Little Rock, Arkansas, died this month at the age of 88. His Cathedral of Tomorrow is now HQ to Ernest Angley and the world renowned Grace Cathedral. Humbard's legacy also includes an ugly concrete tower that was supposed to be a rotating restaurant but was only ever an ugly concrete tower.

No comments: