Friday, February 25, 2011

Well Played, Sir

This week Obama ordered the Justice Department to stop enforcing the Defense of Marriage Act, declaring it discriminatory and therefore unconstitutional.  This comes on the heels of our president signing the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell into law.  This is good work.  No, it's not going to create jobs, fix the deficit or get Falling Rock National Park into the daily papers, but progress is progress.

Of course a few headaches are inevitable as the same, tired arguments come slinking out from under rocks, but you know what:

I don't want to hear about the horrible things this is going to do to traditional marriage.  By now we know that traditional marriage can take care of itself.  Oh hey!  Is that Massachusetts with the lowest divorce rate in the nation?  Huh!  How about that?

Don't tell me this will lead to people marrying more than one person, their sibling, their labradoodle, their inflatable doll.  Take your 'where does it end??' argument and put it where heaping, stinking piles of ignorance belong.

I'm really not interested in what the Bible has to say on the subject.  I'm not sure I want my moral compass guided by a text that obliges me to execute my neighbors if I catch them working on a Sunday.

I don't give a damn what some blithering, dithering radio host with brain fever has to say.

And don't hand me a crock of bull about how people in 29 states voted in referendums.  The majority does not necessarily rule when it comes to civil rights.  At some point, sanity must intervene on behalf of the less privileged.

You done good, Mr. President, in giving a nation of infants a little nudge toward adulthood.  May your views regarding the subject continue to evolve.

nwb

No comments: